Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Great Beyond

Recently one thing has started happening. It's like through running I'm starting to get a look further down the funnel of this soul of mine. Or some such thing.
What I mean is: What Haruki Murakami says about running is mostly true for me too.
Today for instance, as I was blasting through the night, propelled by music, I felt really very genuine and happy. It was a profound feeling that is still going on until now.
Three times I had to replay this song for its refrain, for its grasp on life and the happiness I felt. Wings seemed a real possibility, life a raw landscape with me running right through its middle...

I'm pushing an elephant up the stairs
I'm tossing up punchlines that were never there
Over my shoulder a piano falls
Crashing to the ground
I'm breaking through
I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
"The Great Beyond" by R.E.M.

I haven't posted any updates, but I have been running a lot in the last few months. More will follow - there's a new pledge, a marathon, running novels and many, many kilometers of road, wood and hills...


Thanks, Richard Yeomans, for the beautiful picture. Tonight it sometimes looked like this.

0 comments: